Tattenhoe, a parish in Bucks, 2¼ miles W of Bletchley Junction station on the main line of the L. & N.W.R., and 3¼ W from Fenny Stratford. Post town, Stony Stratford; money order and telegraph office, Bletchley station. Acreage, 647; population, 45. The manor, with all the land, belongs to the Lowndes family. The living is a donative in the diocese of Oxford; gross value, £40. The church, a small building of brick and stone, was built in 1540 from the ruins of the neighbouring priory of Snellshall.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Winslow|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The parish register of baptisms dates from the year 1733; marriages, 1765; burials, 1755.
Church of England
St. Giles (parish church)
The church of St. Giles occupies a retired situation on the site of the ancient manor house, the moat belonging to which now partly surrounds the churchyard; the existing fabric was rebuilt in 1540 from the ruins of the neighbouring priory of Snelshall, in Whaddon parish, and having been for some time disused and desecrated, was reconsecrated in 1636; it is a building of stone, supported by brick piers, and consisting of chancel and nave under a single roof, south porch and a small western turret containing one bell: the chancel contains a piscina, and has a single east window of three lights, representing the Crucifixion, the gift of Mrs. Clark in memory of her husband; on either side of this window is a stone bracket: the font consists of an octagonal basin, well carved, supported on four clustered shafts, rising from an oval base: the church was partially restored in 1892, and affords 50 sittings.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Tattenhoe was in Winslow Registration District from 1837 to 1935
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Tattenhoe from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Buckinghamshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Tattenhoe are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Buckinghamshire papers online:
A full transcript of the Visitation of Buckinghamshire, 1634 is online