Tottenham, a parish in Middlesex, averagely 5¼ miles N by E of St Paul's, London. It is bounded on the E by the river Lea, is impinged upon on the W by the G.N.R., is traversed along the E by the G.E.R., and across the S by the Tottenham and Hampstead Junction (Midland) railway. It is intersected through the middle by a handsome and spacious thoroughfare, connecting on the S with Stoke Newington, on the N with Edmonton, contains a large portion of Alexandra Park, is cut ecclesiastically into the sections of All Hallows, Holy Trinity, St Paul, and Christchurch, and has the stations of Bruce Grove, Hale, Park, Seven Sisters, West Green, and White Hart Lane on the G.E.R., and South Tottenham on the M.R. It is in the Northern Suburban Postal District, but the initial N should be omitted in letters addressed to Tottenham. The centre of the parish is occupied by a large triangular enclosure known as " The Green," on which the Maypole was formerly erected. The High Cross, which gives its name to the southern end of the village, was erected in 1600 by Dean Wood in the place of a decayed croas of wood, and is an octagonal structure of brick. There are some rifle ranges on the banks of the Lea, near the Park railway station. The manor belongs to the Curtis family. The parish has an area of 4580 acres of land and 62 of water; population, 97,174. It is a growing place, new streets being added every year. The church of All Hallows, which stands about a quarter of a mile west of the High Street, was enlarged and partly rebuilt in 1876-77, and is a building of brick and stone in the Gothic style, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, transepts, N and S porches, and an ivy-clad western embattled tower. It has some ancient brasses, tombs, and memorials, and some good stained windows. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of London; gross value, £819 with residence, in the gift of the Dean and Chapter of St Paul's. Holy Trinity is an ecclesiastical parish which was formed out of All Hallows in 1844. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of London; gross value, £380, in the gift of the vicar of Tottenham. The church, on Tottenham Green, was erected in 1830, and is a building of brick in the Gothic style, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, and W porch. St Paul's is an ecclesiastical parish formed in 1859 out of the parish of All Hallows. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of London; net value, £204 with residence, in the gift of the Vicar of Tottenham. The church, which stands in Park Lane, was erected in 1859, and is a building of stone in the Gothic style, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, N and S porches, and an embattled and pinnacled tower. Christ Church is an ecclesiastical parish whieh was formed in 1889 out of the parishes of Holy Trinity, St Michael's, and St Anne's, Stamford Hill. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of London; gross value, £250, in the gift of the Vicar of Holy Trinity. The church, which stands in Stanmore Road, is a building of brick and stone in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, and a bell turret, There is a mission church of Marlborough College, a building of brick in the Early English style, consisting of chancel,. nave, aisles, and bell turret. The living is a perpetual curacy of the gross value of £200, in the gift of the Bishop of London. There are also Roman Catholic, Baptist, Congregational, Primitive Methodist, Presbyterian, and Wesleyan Methodist chapels, and a meeting-house for the Society of Friends. There are numerous almshouses in the parish, all endowed, and furnishing homes for about seventy poor persons,. and there are several charities worth in the aggregate about £470 a year. Wood Green is noticed separately.
Tottenham Parliamentary division of Middlesex was formed under the Redistribution of Seats Act of 1885, and returns one member to the House of Commons. Population, 97,174. The division includes:-Edmondton (part of)- Tottenham; the area included in the parliamentary boroughs of Hackney, Shoreditch, Bethnal Green, and Tower Hamlets.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Tottenham All Saints|
|Poor Law union||Edmonton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The Phillimore transcript of Marriages at Tottenham, 1558-1837 is available to browse online.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Tottenham from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Tottenham (All Saints))
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Middlesex is online.
Online maps of Tottenham are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Villages, Hamlets, &cBounds Green
North End (Tottenham)