Teddington, a parish, with a village, in Middlesex, on the left bank of the Thames, 12 miles from London by road and 18½ by the river, and l¼ mile N from Kingston. It has a station on the L. & S.W.R., and a post, money order, and telegraph office (S.O.) Acreage, 1214; population, 10,052. The village is a pleasant and rapidly growing place, and its western extremity touches on Bushey Park. Teddington Lock is the limit of the port of London in this direction, and by the Metropolitan Water Act of 1852 the intake of the water companies which supply London must be above it. There is good fishing in the neighbourhood, chiefly for carp and dace. The parish is governed by a district council of fifteen members, and it is supplied with water by the Grand Junction Water Company. The town-hall, a spacious building of red brick, comprises public baths, shops, parochial offices, lecture and auction rooms, and a large hall, used as a theatre and ballroom, capable of holding 1400 persons. Market gardening is carried on. The old church is a plain building of brick of no special beauty or interest inside or out, but it has a pleasant well-kept churchyard, and it contains some ancient brasses, the tomb of Sir Orlando Bridgman, keeper of the seals to Charles II., who died in 1674, the tomb of the celebrated actress Peg Woffington, and the tomb of John Walter, the founder of The Times. The new parish church of St Albans is a fine modern building of stone in the Early Decorated style. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of London; net value, £370 with residence, in the gift of the Earl of Bradford. The ecclesiastical parish of St Peter and St Paul, Upper Teddington, was formed in 1880. The church is a building of red and yellow brick in the Early English style. The living is a perpetual curacy; net value, £350 with residence, in the gift of the Vicar of Teddington. St Mark's Church is attached to St Albans. There are a Free Church of England church, a Roman Catholic school chapel, and Baptist and Wesleyan chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Teddington St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Kingston|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Teddington from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Teddington (St. Mary))
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Middlesex is online.