Sunbury, a village and a parish in Middlesex. The village stands on the river Thames, and has a station on the Shepperton branch of the L. & S.W.R., 4½ miles W of Kingston. It has a post, money order, and telegraph office (S.O.) It was known at Domesday as Suneberie, and gave the title of Viscount to the Montagues. The parish contains also the hamlets of Upper Halliford, which is about 1½ mile SW, and Charlton, which is about 2½ miles W, and comprises 2623 acres of land and 36 of water; population, 4099. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of London; gross value, £350 with residence. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of St Paul's. The church, rebuilt in 1752 and enlarged in 1856, is a plain building of brick in the Byzantine style. The ecclesiastical district of Sunbury Common was formed in 1881 under the title of St Saviours, Upper Sunbury. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of London; net value, £142 with residence, in the gift of the Vicar of Sunbury. The church was erected in 1881. There are also Roman Catholic, Congregational, and Wesleyan chapels. Near to Sunbury is the racecourse belonging to the Kempton Park Club. The estate is over 300 acres in extent, is enclosed within a ring fence, and is provided with stands, stables, refreshment, telegraph, and other offices. The mile course is nearly flat, and 30 yards wide at the narrowest point. The inner course is about a mile and a half in length, the half-mile course is straight. Races take place at frequent intervals. The Thames at Sunbury is much frequented by anglers, and the Thames Angling Preservation Society has a rearing pond and stream close to Sunbury Lake.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Sunbury St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Staines|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Sunbury from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Sunbury (St. Mary))
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Middlesex is online.
Villages, Hamlets, &cCharlton