Taplow, a parish, with a village, in Bucks, on the river Thames and the G.W.R., 1 mile E of Maidenhead. It has a station on the railway, and a post, money order, and telegraph office under Maidenhead. Acreage, 1726 of land and 36 of water; population of the civil parish, 1029; of the ecclesiastical, 961. There is a parish council consisting of nine members. The manor with Taplow Court and much of the land belong to the Grenfell family. Clivedon House in this parish is noticed under a separate heading. Taplow Court is a fine mansion of red brick in the Tudor style, standing in a well-timbered park of 200 acres. There are many other good residences in the parish. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Oxford; net value, £450 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Oxford. The church was built in 1828, and is a plain building of brick in the Gothic style. It contains some ancient brasses removed from the old parish church, the site of which is marked by a stone cross. A tumulus stands in the old churchyard, which was opened in 1883, and which yielded several Anglo-Saxon objects of great interest.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Taplow St. Nicholas|
|Poor Law union||Eton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The parish register dates from the year 1710.
Church of England
St. Nicolas (parish church)
The original church of St. Nicolas stood near Taplow Court: it was destroyed in 1828 by the Earl of Orkney and the church was removed to its present site: that church was replaced in 1911-12 by the present structure which is a building of Kentish ragstone in the Decorated style and consists of chancel, nave, aisles, lady chapel and vestries and a western tower with a spire: the roof is oak and there is a rood screen of Bath stone; the church contains a number of ancient brasses removed from the old church, including one to Nicholas de Aumberdene, fishmonger, probably c. 1340, with an effigy in the head of a floriated cross: three of the brasses here are palimpsests - that of Thomas Manfield, 1568, and his two wives, with effigies and inscription, exhibits on the reverse portions of figures and some verses; another, of a verse inscription to Ursula, wife of Thomas Jones, c. 1570, is made up of three pieces of the figure of a lady, c. 1500-20; the third, in inscription in Roman capitals, c. 1600, to Robert Manfelde, shows on the reverse part the figure of a civilian: there are also three brass effigies of Richard Manfeld, his sister and brother, 1465.
Taplow was in Eton Registration District from 1837 to 1974
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Taplow from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Taplow (St. Nicholas))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Buckinghamshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Taplow are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Buckinghamshire papers online:
A full transcript of the Visitation of Buckinghamshire, 1634 is online