Stoke Newington, Middlesex
Stoke Newington, a metropolitan suburb and a parish in Middlesex. The suburb lies adjacent to the New River and the North London railway, 3½ miles N by E of St Paul's, London. It includes under postal arrangements portions of the parishes of Hackney, Hornsey, and Islington, but the parish proper is quite distinct and is confined for purposes of local government to its ancient boundaries. The parish comprises 638 acres; population, 30,936. The manor belonged before the Norman Conquest to St Paul's Cathedral, was vested at an early period in a prebend of that cathedral, was held under the prebendaries by the Pattens, the Dadleys, the Pophams, the Gunstons, the Abneys, and the Eades, and has passed to the Ecclesiastical Commissioners. The old church was rebuilt in 1563, and is a brick edifice with tower and spire. The new church was opened in 1858, but not completed till 1890, and is a spacious and noble edifice in a style between Early English and Decorated. See also LONDON.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Stoke Newington St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Hackney|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Stoke Newington from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Newington, Stoke (St. Mary))
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Middlesex is online.
Online maps of Stoke Newington are available from a number of sites: