St George in the East, Middlesex
George, St, -in-the-East or St George Middlesex, a parish in Middlesex. The parish lies 2 miles E of Sfc Paul's, London; forms a prominent part of the eastern section of the metropolis; marches with Mile-End Old-Town hamlet, St John Wapping parish, St Mary Whitechapel parish, Rat-cliff hamlet, St Paul Shadwell parish, and the London Dock walls and bridge; includes Prince's Square, part of Wellclose Square, and numerous streets between Commercial Road and the London Docks; and has numerous post offices and pillar boxes under London E. Acreage, 244; population, 45,795. The area was part of the old parish of Stebonheath or Stepney till 1727; and it is now all occupied by buildings, works, or thoroughfares. The parish church stands in Cannon Street Road; was built in 1715-29, after designs by Hawksmond Gibbs, at a cost of £18,557; is a noble and massive structure in the Doric style; has a lofty tower at the west end, unlike any other in England; has also four smaller towers, two on the south side and two on the north. For particulars of the living, &c., see LONDON.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for St George in the East from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (George, St., in the East)
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Middlesex is online.
Online maps of St George in the East are available from a number of sites: