Stone, a parish, with a village and the hamlet of Bishopstone, in Bucks, 2¼ miles WSW of Aylesbury, which is the nearest railway station. It has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Aylesbury. Acreage, 2641; population, 1433. The manor belongs to the Lee family. Peverel Court and St John's Lodge are chief residences. Bucks County Lunatic Asylum, a building of red brick and stone to accommodate 480 patients, stands within this parish on the high road from Aylesbury to Thame. Numerous Roman and Anglo-Saxon remains have been found in this parish, and many of them are preserved in the museum of the Bucks Archaeological Society. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Oxford; net value, £212 with residence. For ecclesiastical purposes the livings of Hartwell and Stone were united in 1892. The church of Stone is a very ancient cruciform building of stone in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, N aisle, transepts, S porch, and an embattled western tower. It was restored in 1890. There is a chapel of ease at Bishopstone, and there are Wesleyan chapels at Stone and Bishopstone.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Stone St. John the Baptist|
|Poor Law union||Aylesbury|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The parish register dates from the year 1538.
Church of England
St. John the Baptist (parish church)
The church of St. John the Baptist, erected in the reign of King Stephen (1135-54), is a cruciform building of stone in the Norman, Early English and Decorated styles, consisting of chancel, nave, north aisle, small transepts, south porch and an embattled western tower containing a clock and 6 bells: the church has considerable remains of Norman work, especially in the nave arcades, and a very good doorway in the south porch, the chancel and transepts are Early English: the tower is of three stages, with double buttresses at the western angles, and has a parapet with a cornice of masks and a gabled roof: at the south-east angle is a large square turret, with pointed capping, surmounted by a vane: the font, brought from a garden at Lewisham, in Kent, and said to have originally belonged to the church of Hampstead Norris, Berks, whence it was removed about 1767 to Kent, and in 1843 brought to this church, is carved with interlaced work, the rude figure of a salamander, fishes, and other creatures, the idea of the sculptor of this rather notable font was to portray the Blessed Trinity in Their redemptive work upon the soul of man, which is shown in the form of a fish; it is probably an adaptation of Norse mythology to the Christian faith, in the south porch are the remains of a stoup: there is a palimpsest brass inscribed on the one side to Christopher Tharpe, ob. September 28th, 1514, and the other to Thomas Gurney and Agnes his wife, 1520: on the back of the male effigy is the figure of a lady, c. 1440-50 : there is also a brass with a Latin inscription to William Gurney, dated 1475, and one on the north wall to members of the Statham family, placed in 1913; other brasses, placed in the vestry during some restoration of the church, have been lost: the chancel was rebuilt and the nave reseated abont 1843: a gallery has also been removed and a stained west window inserted by a former vicar: in the south wall is a lancet window, inserted 1910, to the memory of Margaret Edmonds Challis, wife of the Rev. J. L. Challis M.A. vicar 1879-1916: in the chancel is a stained window to the Statham family, inserted in 1913. In the churchyard are the remains of a stone cross: the church was restored in 1883 and 1885-90, when the nave and aisle were new-roofed, and a clock presented by Mrs. Bartlett, of Peverel Court, the total cost amounting to £1,997: in 1900 the chancel walls were raised, the chancel new-roofed and re-fitted and an organ chamber built on the north side, the entire cost being about £650: there are 265 sittings.
Stone was in Aylesbury Registration District from 1837 to 1974
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Stone from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Stone (St. John the Baptist))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Buckinghamshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Stone are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Buckinghamshire papers online:
Villages, Hamlets, &cBishopstone
A full transcript of the Visitation of Buckinghamshire, 1634 is online