Southgate, a village and a parish in Edmonton union, Middlesex. Southgate was formed as a district chapelry out of Edmonton parish in 1851, and in 1881 was constituted a local government district out of Edmonton. It is situated about 8 miles N from London, and has a station at Palmers Green, 1 mile S on the Enfield branch of the G.N.R. It took its name from having been a south entrance to Enfield Chase. It has a post, money order, and telegraph office in the N Metropolitan District, a cemetery of 4 acres formed in 1880, a village hall capable of holding 400 persons, erected in 1883, a reading-room and library, and a police station. There is a parish council consisting of nine members. The manor belongs to the Curtis family. There are many good villa residences in and around the village. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of London; gross value, £400, in the gift of the vicar of Edmonton. The church, erected in 1862 from designs by the late Sir G. Gilbert Scott, E.A., is a fine edifice of stone in the Early English style, consisting of chancel with aisles, nave, aisles, N porch, and tower and spire. It has a mosaic reredos and some good stained windows. There is a Baptist chapel, and a Wesleyan place of worship. Population of the ecclesiastical parish of Christchurch, 3027. Palmers Green is an adjacent hamlet.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Edmonton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Southgate from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Southgate)
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Middlesex is online.