Shepperton, a village and a parish in Middlesex. The village stands on the river Thames, at the terminus of the Thames Valley branch of the L. & S.W.R., 2 miles E of Chertsey, was known at Domesday as Scepertone, and has a station on the railway, a lock on the river, and a post, money order, and telegraph office (S.O.) It is a pleasant place, and is much resorted to by anglers. The parish contains also the hamlet of Lower Halliford, and comprises 1491 acres; population, 1299. There is a parish council consisting of nine members. The manor belonged at Domes-day to Westminster Abbey, passed to the Beauchamps, and now belongs to the Lindsay family. An oak canoe, 12 feet long, was found in 1812 near the river, and many relics of Ancient British, Roman, Saxon, and later periods have been found in the neighbourhood. The living is a rectory in the diocese of London; gross value, £483 with residence. The church, a cruciform building of flint and rubble, was erected in 1614 (with the exception of the tower, which is of later date) out of the materials of a former building which stood close to the Thames on a foundation of piles, and which is said to have been destroyed by a flood. The rectory house is a beautiful and interesting building of oak about 400 years old. Shepperton Green, a hamlet about a mile NW, has a chapel of ease and a mission hall.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Shepperton St. Nicholas|
|Poor Law union||Staines|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Shepperton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Shepperton (St. Nicholas))
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Middlesex is online.