Ruislip or Rislip, Middlesex
Ruislip or Rislip, a village and a parish in Middlesex. The village stands 3½ miles SW from Pinner station on the Metropolitan railway, 4 SW from Pinner station on the L. & N.W.R., 4 NE from Uxbridge station on the G.W.R., and 15 from London. It was known at Domesday as. Rislepe, and the manor was given by Ernulf de Heding to Bee Abbey, was transferred by Henry IV. to his son John, Duke of Bedford, and was given by Edward IV. to King's. College, Cambridge, to whom it now belongs. The parish includes the hamlets of Duck's Hill, Eastcote, King's End, Ruislip Common, and St Catherine's End or Little Manor, and has an area of 6585 acres; population of the civil parish, 1836; of the ecclesiastical, 1298. There is a parish council consisting of nine members. Ruislip Park Wood occupies much of the N, and is a favourite resort of fox-hunters. A reservoir of the Regent's Canal, covering 80 acres, adjoins the wood, and attracts a good many anglers during the fishing season. Ruislip Park, High Grove, and Eastcote House are chief residences. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of London; net value, £426 with residence. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Windsor. The church is a building of flint, stone, and chalk in the Decorated and Perpendicular styles, consisting of chancel, nave, N and S aisles, western porch, and a lofty embattled tower at the W end of the S aisle. It has some ancient brasses,. monuments, and memorials, a Late Norman font, and some good stained windows. The hamlet and ecclesiastical parish, of Northwood is noticed separately.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Ruislip St. Martin|
|Poor Law union||Uxbridge|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Ruislip or Rislip from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Ruislip (St. Martin))
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Middlesex is online.
Villages, Hamlets, &cEastcote