Poplar, a parish and a parliamentary division in Middlesex. The parish is part of the metropolis, lies on the river Thames, between the Limehouse and the Blackwall Beaches,. 4 miles E of St Paul's; includes the Isle of Dogs and Blackwall, extending to the influx of the river Lea; was given by William of Wykeham to St Mary de Grace Abbey at Tower Hill; was held by Charles I. when Prince of Wales; formed part of Stepney parish till 1817; contains the West India Docks, the East India Docks, and numerous small or private docks; constitutes a prominent section of the port of London, with large warehouses and other port appliances; carries on shipbuilding, chain-cable making, steam factory work, wire-rope making, and other employments suited to the wants of a great port. It is traversed from west to east by a branch of the G.E.R., a branch also crosses The Isle of Dogs to North Greenwich station, and the North London railway has also a station in the East India Road. It is in the eastern suburban postal district, the branch office being in King Street. The docks and other matters connected with shipping are noticed in our account of London. Area of the parish, 1158 acres; population, 56,383. The parliamentary division forms part of the old borough of the Tower Hamlets, and has a population of 78,330. See also DOGS, ISLE OF, and LONDON.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Poplar All Saints|
|Poor Law union||Poplar|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Poplar from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Poplar (All Saints))
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Middlesex is online.
Online maps of Poplar are available from a number of sites: