UK Genealogy Archives logo

Paddington, Middlesex

Historical Description

Paddington, a metropolitan parish in Middlesex. It lies on the Paddington Canal, the G.W.R., and the Metropolitan railway, between Edgware Road and Uxbridge Road, 3½ miles WNW of St Paul's; includes Bayswater, Craven Hill, Maida Hill, and Westbourne Green; contains the terminus of the G.W.R.; and is in the Western Postal District. Area, 1256 acres; population, 117,846. The manor was given by King Edgar to Westminster Abbey, was transferred by Henry VIIL to his new see of Westminster, went afterwards to the see of London, and was leased for one-third of the rental to Thystlethwaite of Southwick. The area is now all urban, or mainly so, has multitudes of large and handsome houses, and includes Cambridge, Oxford, Hyde Park, Gloucester, Connaught, and Sussex Squares. The G.W. R. terminus is a prominent feature, and has been noticed in the article London. St Mary's Hospital was built in 1843-50 by Hopper at a cost of £30,000, had originally 150 beds, but has since been greatly extended; it had 338 inmates at the census of 1891. A Lock Hospital likewise is here, and at the census of 1891 had 177 inmates. Other institutions were the Workhouse, with 589 inmates; the Workhouse Infirmary, with 297 inmates; a Children's Hospital, with 35 inmates; and a Ladies' Hospital, with 26 inmates.

A list of the ecclesiastical parishes into which the civil parish is divided will be found in the article London. St Mary's Church was built in 1788-91, on the site of a previous church, at a cost of £6000; is a brick structure, after designs by Wapshott; and contains the monuments or graves of the Marquis of Lansdowue, Mrs Siddons, Geddes the translator of the Bible, Bryan the author of the " Dictionary of Painters," Caleb Whitefoord of the time of Goldsmith, Nollekens the father of the famous artist, Barrett and W. Collins the painters, Bankes and Bushnell the sculptors, and Vivares and Schiavonetti the engravers. It ceased to be the parish church of Paddington in 1845, when it was superseded by the church of St James, at the W end of Oxford and Cambridge Terraces, and at the S end of Westbourne Terrace.

The sub-districts are Paddington St Mary and Paddington St John. Paddington St Mary sub-district comprises all the parts of Paddington parish within a line extending from the corner of Praed Street to the Irongate Wharf inclusive, along the centre of the Paddington basin of the Grand Junction Canal to the Harrowgate Road, and then over the railway bridge at the G.W.R. terminus along the centre of Bishops Road and Westbourne Grove, crossing Westbourne Grove North to the boundary of Chelsea parish, then crossing the Grand Junction Canal and the Harrow Road by the boundary of Willesden parish to Kilburn, and thence along the Edgware Road to the comer of Praed Street. Acreage, 809; population, 84,159. Paddington St John sub-district is bounded on the E by part of the Edgware Road, on the S by part of Kensington Gardens and the Uxbridge Road, on the W by Kensington parish, and on the N by part of Westbourne Grove Road, Bishops Road, and part of the Paddington Canal. Acreage, 447; population, 33,687. For parliamentary purposes Paddington is divided into North and South Paddington, each returning one member. The population of North Paddington is 64,668; of South Paddington, 53,178.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5


The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyMiddlesex 
Poor Law unionKensington 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.

Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Paddington from the following:

Land and Property

A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Middlesex is online.


Online maps of Paddington are available from a number of sites:

Villages, Hamlets, &c

Maida Hill
DistrictCity of Westminster
CountyGreater London
Postal districtW2
Post TownLondon