Norton Folgate, Middlesex
Norton Folgate, a small parish in Middlesex, within the metropolis, in the line of Ermine Street, at the end of Bishopsgate Street, 1½ mile NE of St Paul's. It took the former part of its name from its situation N of Bishopsgate, and the latter part from the Saxon Foldweg, signifying a " highway," in allusion to Ermine Street, and the name was formerly written Northern Foldgate. Acreage, 10; population, 1449. The manor belongs to the Dean and Chapter of St Paul's. An Augustinian priory was founded here in 1197 by William Brune, and had an income at the dissolution valued at £558
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Whitechapel|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Norton Folgate from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Norton-Falgate)
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Middlesex is online.