UK Genealogy Archives logo

Northolt or Morthall, Middlesex

Historical Description

Northolt or Morthall, a village and a parish in Middlesex. The village stands near the Paddington Canal, 3½ miles NNW of Hanwell and Southall stations on the G.W.R., 3 S of Harrow station on the Metropolitan railway, 4½ E of Uxbridge, and 10 from London. It was known at Domesday as Northala, and has a post office, of the name of Northolt, under Southall; money order office, Southall; telegraph office, Greenford. The parish contains also the hamlets of West End, Wood End, and Down Barns. Acreage, 2180; population of the civil parish, 504; of the ecclesiastical, 508. The manor belonged to the Mandevilles, passed through the Botelers and others to Earl Jersey, and now belongs to the Sbadwell family. A plain in the NW, comprising several square miles, though so near London, contains but a few houses, and was the scene of several skirmishes, both in the Wars of the Roses and in the Civil Wars of Charles I. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of London; gross value, £513 with residence. Patron, Brasenose College, Oxford. The church, an ancient building ef flint, rubble, and brick in the Decorated and Perpendicular styles, is partly of the 13th century, partly somewhat later, and contains memorials of the Rowdell and Gyfford families, Bishop Lisle, who was vicar, and the philosopher Dr. Demainbray.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyMiddlesex 
Ecclesiastical parishNortholt St. Mary 
HundredElthorne 
Poor Law unionUxbridge 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Northolt or Morthall from the following:


Land and Property

A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Middlesex is online.


Villages, Hamlets, &c

Westend (Northolt)