Mile End Old Town, Middlesex
Mile End Old Town, a quondam hamlet and a civil parish in Stepney union, Middlesex. The quondam hamlet is now a suburb of the metropolis, lies on the G.E.R. andi on the Regent's Canal, 2½ miles ENE of St Paul's, was once a part of the ancient parish of Stepney, but is now a separate parish for the relief of the poor. It is in the Eastern Postal District. Acreage of parish, 677; population, 107,592. The ancient hamlet had a lazar-house, adjoined the place of Jack Cade's encampment, made a popular demonstration in 1642 against the Royalists, and was held in 1645 by the Parliamentarian general Essex. The present suburb presents in many parts a disagreeable or inferior appearance, yet contains several handsome ranges of houses, many well-built streets, and Henry, Sidney, Arbour, Trafalgar, and Tredegar squares. It has extensive breweries, a large distillery, floorcloth manufactories, a tobacco pipe manufactory, and rope-walks; it shares in the traffic of the Regent's Canal, and has docks, timber wharfs, and corn wharfs for conducting it. See also LONDON.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Mile End Old Town from the following:
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Middlesex is online.