Little Stanmore, Middlesex
Stanmore, Little, a parish, consisting of one-half of Edgware, in Middlesex. The church is half a mile NNW of Edgware station on the G.N.R. Post town and money order and telegraph office, Edgware. Acreage, 1591; population, 926. The manor belongs to the Clutterbuck family. A quondam palace of the Duke of Chandos, erected at a cost of £2 50,000, and noticed in our article Edgware, was here. The living is a rectory in the diocese of London; gross value, £316 with residence. The church, a building of brick in the Italian style, was the chapel of the quondam palace, and had Handel for the conductor of its music. It contains some good wall paintings, a painted ceiling, and some fine stained windows illustrative of the works of Handel. There are almshouses for seven poor persons, and some small charities.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Little Stanmore St. Lawrence|
|Poor Law union||Hendon|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Little Stanmore from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Stanmore, Little (St. Lawrence))
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Middlesex is online.
Online maps of Little Stanmore are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)