UK Genealogy Archives logo

Kingsbury, Middlesex

Historical Description

Kingsbury, a parish in Middlesex, on the river Brent, 8 miles NW of St Paul's, London, 1 mile SW from the Welsh Harp and Hendon stations on the M.R., and 1¼ NW from Kings-bury Neasden station on the Metropolitan Extension railway. It contains the hamlet of Kingsbury Green, and part of the village of Hyde, and is in the North-Western Metropolitan Postal District. By the Parish Councils Act, the parish of Kingsbury is grouped with Wembley, the two parishes thus forming an urban district. Acreage, 1829; population, 581. The Brent Reservoir, or Kingsbury Lake, belonging to the Regent's Canal Company, has an area of 350 acres, and is a favourite haunt of the London anglers. The manor was a residence of Saxon kinga, and was known at Domesdayas Chinges-burie. Goldsmith wrote his " Animated Nature " at a farm near Hyde. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of London; gross value,, £298. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of St Paul's. The old church of St Andrew, formerly the parish church of Kingsbury, was assigned in 1885 to the ecclesiastical parish of Neasden-cum-Kingsbury in Willesden civil parish. The present parish church, which was erected in 1883-84, is a building of brick and stone in the Gothic style of the 14th century.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyMiddlesex 
Ecclesiastical parishKingsbury St. Andrew 
HundredGore 
Poor Law unionHendon 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Kingsbury from the following:


Land and Property

A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Middlesex is online.


Maps

Online maps of Kingsbury are available from a number of sites:


Villages, Hamlets, &c

Kingsbury Green
DistrictBrent
CountyGreater London
RegionLondon
CountryEngland
Postal districtNW9
Post TownLondon