Ickenham, a parish in Middlesex, between Yedding brook and the river Colne, 2½ miles NE of Uxbridge station on the G.W.R. It has a post office under Uxbridge; money order and telegraph office, Uxbridge. Acreage, 1464; population, 396. The manor was anciently called lykenham, belonged at one time to the Shoreditches, and belongs now to the Thornhill family. Swakeleys, the seat of Mrs Clarke, is an edifice of 1638 in the Italian style. The living is a rectory in the diocese of London; gross value, £370 with residence. The church is ancient but good, and has some interesting tombs and monuments. There is a Congregational chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Ickenham St. Giles|
|Poor Law union||Uxbridge|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Ickenham from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Ickenham (St. Giles))
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Middlesex is online.
Online maps of Ickenham are available from a number of sites: