Stoke Hammond, Buckinghamshire
Stoke Hamond, a parish, with a village, in Buckinghamshire, on the Grand Junction Canal, 2¾ miles S by E of Bletchley Junction station on the main line of the L. & N.W.R. It has a post office under Bletchley station; money order office, Great Brickhill; telegraph office, Bletchley station. Acreage, 1566; population, 312. There is a parish council consisting of five members. The manor belongs to the Fountaine family. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Oxford; gross value, £300 with residence. The church, dedicated to St Luke, is cruciform and Perpendicular in style, with central tower containing three bells of about 1537 date, with sanctus bell, which is older. It is built of sandstone, and dates from the early part of the 13th century. There is a curious poor-box and an altar, both dated 1619. It has some very old stained glass and a Norman font.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Stoke-Hammond St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Leighton-Buzzard|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The parish register dates from the year 1534.
Church of England
St. Luke (parish church)
The church of St. Luke, which dates from the early part of the 13th century, is a small cruciform building of sandstone, approached through an avenue of lime trees, and consists of chancel, nave, transepts, south porch and a central tower containing 3 bells: the windows are mostly Perpendicular: the roof is panelled in oak, and the fittings and furniture of the same material: the font s Early English and has a circular basin on four small shafts: in the course of the restoration in 1852, finely decorated sedilia and a piscina were discovered in the south wall of the chancel: the east window, which is stained, was the gift of the Rev. T. Bouwens (d. 1869): on the west wall of the north transept is a stone tablet with inscriptions to members of the Fountaine family from 1636 to 1709: there are also tablets to the Disney family 1658-1686, to the family of the Rev. Charles Gardner, rector, 1794-1823 and the Frank family, of Bury St, Edmunds, 1743-1766: there is a brass to the memory of the Rev. Edward Pain B.A. d. 1902, 33 years rector of this parish: there is a curious poor-box dated 1618 and some ancient stained glass: the church affords 150 sittings. In the churchyard is a tomb erected to the Fountaine family, 1802-1908, and two yew trees planted in 1687.
Stoke Hammond was in Leighton Buzzard Registration District from 1837 to 1935 and Aylesbury Registration District from 1935 to 1974
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Stoke Hammond from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Stoke-Hammond (St. Mary))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Buckinghamshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Stoke Hammond are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Buckinghamshire papers online:
A full transcript of the Visitation of Buckinghamshire, 1634 is online