Hillingdon, a village and a parish in Middlesex. The village stands on the road from London to Uxbridge, near the Grand Junction Canal, the river Colne, and the boundary with Bucks, 1½ mile SE from Uxbridge station on the G.W.R., was known at Domesday as Hillendone, and has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Uxbridge. The parish contains also the greater portion of the town and the township of Uxbridge, the village of Yiewsley, and the hamlets of Colham Green, Goulds Green, and Field Heath. Area, 4785 acres of land and 100 of water; population, 10, 797. The Uxbridge Workhouse is in Colham Green, and is a building of brick, with accommodation for 250 inmates. The manor belonged to Eoger de Montgomery, passed to the Salisburys, the Lacies, the Stranges, and the Stanleys, and belongs now to the Whitehouse and Leycester families. The old manor house has been demolished. An old rectory house, now extinct, was used by the Bishops of Worcester, who had the rectorial titles. Hillingdon Park, or Little London, belonged to Count de Salts. Cedar House was the seat of Beynardson the naturalist, and took its name from a cedar tree which, in 1779, measured from 12½ to nearly 16 feet in the girth of its stem, and from 89 to 96 feet in the diameter of its head. Other chief residences are Hillingdon House, Hillingdon Court, Hillingdon Place, and Hillingdon Grove. Charles I. halted here in 1646 on his way to the Scottish army. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of London; net value, £503. Patron, the Bishop of London. The church is a fine building of flint chiefly in the Early Decorated style, stands on a commanding eminence at the village, figures conspicuously over many miles, and contains a few brasses and two fine altar-tombs of alabaster. There is a cemetery of 6 acres, which was consecrated in. 1867. See also UXBRIDGE and YIEWSLEY.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Hillingdon St. John the Baptist|
|Poor Law union||Uxbridge|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Hillingdon from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Hillingdon (St. John the Baptist))
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Middlesex is online.
Online maps of Hillingdon are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)