Hendon, a village and a parish in Middlesex. The village stands near Watling Street and the river Brent, has a station 1 mile S on the M.R., 3 miles NNW from Hampstead, was known at Domesday as Handone, and is in the NW suburban postal district. The parish contains also the village of Mill Hill and the hamlets of Church End, Guttershedge, and Burroughs. Acreage, 8243 of land and 139 of water; population, 15, 843. The manor belonged to Westminster Abbey, and passed to the Herberts, the Nicolls, the Garricks, and others. A palace of the abbots of Westminster stood here, and was succeeded by a banqueting-house of Queen Elizabeth, known as Hendon Place. It is now called Tenterden Hall, from Lord Tenterden, who sold it to the present owner. It is a fine mansion situated in picturesque grounds, and skirted by the river Brent, which has been widened so as to form a lake (the Kingsbury Reservoir), near the "Welsh Harp." There are many handsome villas, and the country round is very pleasant, green, undulating, and well wooded. Lord William Russell, William Wilberforce, Norden the antiquary, Ware the architect, and Prebendary Scrivener the New Testament critic and scholar, were residents. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of London; net yearly value, £700 with residence, in the gift of the Lady Howard de Walden. The church is an ancient building of stone, consisting of nave with aisles and clerestory, chancel with aisles, and a tower at the W end. The font is Norman, large, and square, with an arcade of intersecting arches on each of the four sides. Only three old windows of Perpendicular work remain; chancel and S aisle, 1827; arcades, circa 1350. There are some interesting monuments in the church, and from the churchyard, which is carefully planted and well kept, some beautiful views may be obtained of the surrounding country. A chapel of ease was erected at the comer of Brent Street and Herriot Road in 1881. It is a building of stone in the Middle Pointed style. There are also a Roman Catholic church, and Baptist, Congregational, and Wesleyan chapels. There' are ten endowed almshouses, and a private lunatic asylum. See MILL HILL.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Hendon St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Hendon|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Hendon from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Hendon (St. Mary))
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Middlesex is online.
Villages, Hamlets, &cChurch End (Hendon)