Hayes or Heese, a village and a parish in Middlesex. The village stands near the Grand Junction Canal and the G.W.R., 3½ miles SE from Uxbridge, and has a station on the railway, and a post, money order and telegraph office under Uxbridge. The parish contains also the " precinct" of NORWOOD, which is noticed separately, and the hamlets of Yeading, Botwell, and Woodend Green. Acreage, exclusive of Norwood, 3278 of land and 33 of water; population, exclusive of Norwood, 2651. The manor belonged from 830 to the archbishops of Canterbury, passed to the Norths, the Jenyns, and others, and is now the property of Lord Hilling-ton. The manor-house, which was formerly the palace of Archbishop Cranmer, is now the rectory house. The living is a rectory in the diocese of London; gross yearly value, £760 with residence. The church is Early English, with portions of Norman, and contains sedilia, a curious font, and some brasses and monuments. There are Baptist and Congregational chapels, and some valuable charities.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Hayes St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Uxbridge|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Hayes from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Hayes (St. Mary))
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Middlesex is online.
Online maps of Hayes are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)