Harmondsworth or Hannsworth, a village and a parish in Middlesex. The village stands near the river Colne, 1½ mile S by W from West Drayton station on the G.W.R., and 4½ miles N by E from Staines; was known at Domesday as Hermodesworde, and has a post and money order office under Slough; telegraph office, Sipson. The parish includes also the villages of Sipson, Longford, and Heathrow, and comprises 3264 acres of land and 43 of water; population, 1914. The manor belonged to Rouen Abbey; went to William of Wyke-ham, Bishop of Winchester, and from him to Winchester College; came to the Crown in the time of Henry VIII.; was given by. Edward VI. to Sir W. Paget, and now belongs to the Taylor family. Market gardening is carried on. Traces of an ancient entrenchment are in the south. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of London, and till 1868 was united with West Drayton; net value, £850 with residence. The church is partly Norman, partly Early English and Perpendicular, and has stalls and a piscina. Bury Mead, Mad Bridge, and Perry Oaks are adjacent hamlets.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Harmondsworth Virgin Mary|
|Poor Law union||Staines|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Harmondsworth from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Harmondsworth (Virgin Mary))
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Middlesex is online.
Villages, Hamlets, &cBurymead
Sepston, Sipson, or Shepiston