Harlington, a village and a parish in Middlesex. The village stands near the Grand Junction Canal and the G.W.R., 1 mile from Hayes station, 2½ miles SE from West Drayton station, and 3½ NW by W from Hounslow; was known at Domesday as Herdintone, has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Hounslow, London W., and a police station, and gave the title of Earl, as Earl Arlington, to Secretary Bennett, who was born here in 1618, and who figured as one of the Cabal after the restoration of Charles II. A fair for toys is held on Whit Tuesday. The parish comprises 1465 acres; population, 1542. The manor belonged to the Lovells, passed to the Bennetts, to Lord Bolingbroke, and .to the Berkeleys, and belongs now to Lord Fitzhardinge and Count de Sails. Dawley House was the seat of the Bennetts and of Lord Bolingbroke, and a wing of it still remains. Harlington Lodge, a mansion of white brick, stands amid charming grounds. Market-gardening is largely carried on. The living is a rectory in the diocese of London; gross value, £609 with residence. The church is ancient but good, has a fine Norman door, and contains two brasses of the 16th century, and monuments of the Lovells and Bennetts. The churchyard contains a yew of much celebrity, measuring 20 feet in girth of trunk. There is a Baptist chapel. Bishop Ryte and Trapp, the translator of Virgil, were rectors.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Harlington St. Peter and St. Paul|
|Poor Law union||Staines|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Harlington from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Harlington (St. Peter and St. Paul))
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Middlesex is online.