Hanworth, a village and a parish in Middlesex. The village stands 1¼ mile SE from Feltham station on the L. & S.W.R., and 5 miles W by N from Kingston-on-Thames, and has a post, money order, and telegraph office, under Feltham (S.O.) The parish comprises 1353 acres of land and 20 of water; population, 1309. The manor belonged to Ulf, the Saxon, came to the Crown, was the pleasure-seat of Queen Catherine Parr; is noted for Queen Elizabeth having lived in it in her youth, and for her having visited it after she ascended the throne; passed to the Rilligrews, the Cot-tingtons, and others, and belongs now to the Barnetts. An ancient castellated mansion which stood on it was burnt in 1797. The living is a rectory in the diocese of London, gross yearly value, £852 with residence. The church was enlarged and mainly rebuilt in 1865. There are a Wesleyan chapel and public reading-rooms. Hanworth Park is a chief residence. The dramatist Rilligrew and the first Lord Berkeley of Stratton were natives.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Hanworth St. George|
|Poor Law union||Staines|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Hanworth from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Hanworth (St. George))
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Middlesex is online.
Online maps of Hanworth are available from a number of sites: