Hampton, a parish in Middlesex. It consists of Hampton proper, Hampton Court, and Hampton Hill or New Hampton. The village of Hampton stands on the river Thames, 13 miles by road from London, and 2 W from Kingston-on-Thames. Along with the other portions of the parish it is supplied with water hy the Grand Junction Water Company. The West Middlesex, Southwark, and Vanxhall water companies have works in this parish, and draw their supplies from the Thames. The L. & S.W.R. have stations at Hampton, Hampton Wick, and at East Molesey for Hampton Court. Hampton has a post, money order, and telegraph office (S.O.), and a post, money order, and telegraph office at Hampton Hill. There are also post, money order, and telegraph offices at Hampton Court and Hampton Wick under Kingston-on-Thames. Area of Hampton, 2036 acres; population, 5822. Garrick Villa was built by Garrick and is a mansion of stone in the Italian style. It is a handsome edifice, with front by Robert Adam, and has been preserved in much the same condition as when the great actor left it. Bushy Park is partly within the limits, and there are many elegant villas. Several race-meetings are held during the year at Molesey Hurst under the direction of the Hurst Park Club. HAMPTON COURT is noticed under a separate heading. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of London; net yearly value, £600, in the gift of the Lord Chancellor. The parish church, rebuilt in 1830, is a building of white brick in the Perpendicular style. It contains some handsome monuments and ancient tablets, and was restored and enlarged in 1888. There is a Wesleyan chapel. Hampton Hill or New Hampton is a large village situated near the northern boundary of Hampton parish. It was formed into an ecclesiastical district in 1864. The living is a vicarage of the gross yearly value of £320 with residence. The church, erected in 1863 and enlarged in 1873, is a building of red brick in the Early English style. There is a Congregational chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Hampton The Blessed Virgin Mary|
|Poor Law union||Kingston|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Hampton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Hampton (The Blessed Virgin Mary))
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Middlesex is online.