Great Greenford, Middlesex
Greenford, Great, a village and a parish in Middlesex. The village stands near the river Brent and the Paddington Canal, 2 miles N by W from Hanwell station on the G.W.R., and 4 NW by N from Brentford; was known to the Saxons as Greneforde; is a long, straggling place; and has a post and telegraph office, of the name of Greenford, under South-all; money order office, Southall. The parish comprises 2127 acres; population of the civil parish, 545; of the ecclesiastical, 511. The manor was given by King Etheldred to Westminster Abbey, and belongs now to the Ecclesiastical Commissioners. Stanhope Park is a chief residence. The living is a rectory in the diocese of London; gross yearly value, £462 with residence. Patron, King's College, Cambridge. The church is a small building of flint and brick in the Perpendicular style, and contains some tombs and brasses. A school has over £200 from endowment, and there are some other small charities.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Greenford Holy Cross|
|Poor Law union||Brentford|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Great Greenford from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Greenford, Great (Holy Cross))
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Middlesex is online.