Friern Barnet, Middlesex
Friern Barnet, a parish in Middlesex, 1½ mile W of Southgate, and 3 miles SSE of Barnet. It contains the hamlet of Colney Hatch, and part of the village of Whetstone. Acreage, 1304; population (including the asylum) 9173. The parish is governed by a local board of health, formed in 1883, consisting of 9 members, and contains the Colney Hatch Asylum. The living is a rectory in the diocese of London; net yearly value, £200 with 8 acres of glebe. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of St Paul's. The church was restored in 1853. Walker, the author of the "Pronouncing Dictionary," was a native, and Judge Popham a resident. See also COLNEY HATCH and OAKLEIGH PARK.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Fryern Barnet St. James|
|Poor Law union||Barnet|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Friern Barnet from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Barnet, Fryern (St. James))
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Middlesex is online.