Feltham, a village and a parish in Middlesex. The village stands on the L. & S.W.R., near the Longford river, 4½ miles E by N of Staines; has a station on the railway, and a post, money order, and telegraph office (S.O.), and is a pleasant, rural place, environed by many ornate dwellings. The land around the village is mostly laid out as market-gardens and orchards. Acreage, 1790; population, 3661. The manor belonged at Domesday to Earl Mortaigne, passed to the Cottingtons, the Beauclercs, and others, was held in 1537 by Henry VIII., went to the Veres, and belongs now to Messrs Barnett and Birch, and others. The living is avicarage in the diocese of London; net value, £330 with residence. The church occupies the site of an ancient one, was built in 1802, and enlarged in 1856, and has a tower and spire. A chapel of ease was erected in 1880, and enlarged in 1890. There are Congregational and Wesleyan chapels, A large industrial school for hoys was established here in 1859, and subsequently greatly enlarged. It has a iarge central building of red brick, a chapel, an infirmary, a farm, workshops, residences for the officers, &c., and has also 95 acres of land which are cultivated by the inmates, usually about 800 in number.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Feltham St. Dunstan|
|Poor Law union||Staines|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Feltham from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Feltham (St. Dunstan))
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Middlesex is online.
Online maps of Feltham are available from a number of sites: