Edgware, a small town and a parish in Middlesex, situated on the high road from London to St Albans, about 8 miles from Oxford Street. The town itself stands in the parishes of Edgware, Little Stanmore, and Hendon, the division being made by the high road through the town. It has a station on the M.R. called Mill Hill, and is the terminus of a branch line of the G.N.R. from their main line at Finsbury Park. It is well lighted, has a good supply of water, and a post, money order, and telegraph office. The living is a rectory in the diocese of London; value, £350 with residence, in the gift of trustees. The church, rebuilt in 1845, is a building of brick, flint, and stone in the Perpendicular style, with a very ancient substantial tower containing six fine bells. There is a Congregational chapel at Little Stanmore. Little Stanmore, or, as it is sometimes styled, Whitchurch, is a parish in Hendon union. The living is a rectory in the diocese of London; value, £316 with residence. The church, erected, with the exception of the western tower, which is ancient, about 1715, is a building of brick in the Italian style, with a mortuary chapel on the north side built by James, Duke of Chandos, and now belonging to Earl Temple. The church has a beautifully ornamented interior, and the mortuary chapel contains some fine wall paintings by Verrio and many interesting tombs and monuments. At Little Stanmore formerly stood Canons, the famous mansion of the Duke of Chandos, commenced in 1715, and completed a few years later at a cost of upwards of £200,000. Some estimates make the cost from £250,000 to £300,000. Here the Duke lived in a style commensurate with the magnificence of his house. Handel was for three years chapel master, and here composed several of his works. William Powell, the "Harmonious Blacksmith," was parish clerk during the time Handel was organist at the church. The mansion was pulled down, and the materials disposed of by auction in 1747, the amount realised being about £11,000. A house, now called Canons, was built with some of the material. Area of Edgware parish, 2090 acres; population, 864; area of Little Stanmore parish, 1591 acres; population, 926.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Edgware St. Margaret|
|Poor Law union||Hendon|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Edgware from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Edgware (St. Margaret))
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Middlesex is online.
Villages, Hamlets, &cDeacons Hill