Steeple Claydon, Buckinghamshire
Claydon, Steeple, a parish in Buckinghamshire, with a station half-a-mile SE on the L. & N.W.R., and 4½ miles W of Winslow, under which it has a post, money order, and telegraph office. Acreage, 3329; population, 780. A considerable town stood around the church at Domesday, but ha'v nearly disappeared. Cromwell's army encamped in the parish at what is called the Camp Burn in March, 1644. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Oxford; net yearly value, £210. Patron, the Right Hon. Sir Harry Verney, Bart. The church was enlarged in 1841 and 1862, and partly restored in 1875. There is a small Wesleyan chapel. Claydon Camp is a chief residence.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Steeple Claydon St. Michael|
|Poor Law union||Buckingham|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The parish register dates from the year 1575.
Church of England
St. Michael (parish church)
The parish church of St. Michael is an ancient building of stone, consisting of chancel, nave of three bays, north aisle, transepts, south porch and a tower with spire containing a clock and 6 bells, and was repaired and considerably enlarged in 1842 and 1861: the spire was erected to General Sir Harry Calvert bart. G.C.B., G.C.H. who died 3rd. Sept. 1875: the chancel was restored in 1875, and again in 1930, and has a Decorated east window: a stained glass window was placed in the church by the Rev. C. and Mrs. Bass in memory of their son, Capt. Charles Harold Bass, who lost his life in the Great War, 1914-18: in 1938 a window was dedicated to the Rev. Charles Bass, vicar for over 30 years until 1934: the church was entirely restored in 1930: there are 380 sittings.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Steeple Claydon was in Buckingham Registration District from 1837 to 1935
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Steeple Claydon from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Claydon, Steeple (St. Michael))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Buckinghamshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Steeple Claydon are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Buckinghamshire papers online:
A full transcript of the Visitation of Buckinghamshire, 1634 is online