East Bedfont, Middlesex
Bedfont, East, a village and a parish in Middlesex. The village stands 1 mile NW of Feltham station on the L.&S.W.R., and 3 miles ENE of Staines, and has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Feltham. The parish includes also the hamlet of Hatton. Acreage, 1926; population, 1815. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of London; net value, £262 with residence, in the gift of the Lord Chancellor. The church is very ancient, has a Saxon porch, and was restored in 1886. It is probably the oldest church in Middlesex; there are two wall paintings - one of the Crucifixion, the other of the Last Judgment, dating from the 12th century.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||East Bedfont St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Staines|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for East Bedfont from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Bedfont, East (St. Mary))
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Middlesex is online.
Online maps of East Bedfont are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)