Ealing, a village and a metropolitan suburban parish in Middlesex, about 6¾ miles from Hyde Park Corner, and 1½ mile N from Brentford on the main line of the G.W.R., which has two stations here called Ealing Broadway and Castle Hill. The Metropolitan District railway has also stations at Ealing Common, the Broadway, and at South Ealing. Ealing is included in the Western Metropolitan Postal District, has a head post office, and is governed by a local board of 12 members. The parish is an extensive one, being about 3¼ miles long by 2 or 2¼ wide, and it has an area of 3776 acres of land and 68 of water; population, 35,648. There is a large reservoir belonging to the Grand Junction Waterworks, which supplies the parish with water. The part of the old village of Ealing is irregular and picturesque, and the Common, which lies high, has the reputation of being one of the breeziest spots to the west of London. Other open spaces are Old Ealing Green, known as "the Green," Haven Green, and the Lammas Fields, laid out as public gardens and recreation grounds in 1892 all being under the control of the local board. It is divided ecclesiastically into seven-parishes, two of which, St George and St Paul, are included in Old Brentford, and are noticed under that heading. Of the others, that of St Mary, the mother parish, is a vicarage in the diocese of London; value, £470 with residence, in the gift of the Bishop of London. The church of St Mary, originally an ugly red brick building of the early part of the 18th century, was reconstructed, enlarged, and greatly improved in 1867; a western porch and spire were added in 1873, and it is now an edifice of singular beauty. The parish of Christ Church was formed in 1852. The living is a vicarage; gross yearly value, £450 with residence, in the gift of the Bishop of London. The church, a building of stone, in the Geometrical Decorated style, was erected in 1852, and has a tower and fine spire. In this parish there are also the mission church of St Saviour, built in 1881, and the church of St Andrew, to which a conventional district has been assigned. The parish of St John was formed in 1876, and extended in 1885. The living is a vicarage; net yearly value, £510 with residence, in the gift of the Bishop of London. The church, erected in 1876, is a cruciform structure of brick in the Early English style. The parish of St Stephen's was formed in 1876. The church is a building of stone in the Gothic style, and the living is a vicarage of the value of £470 with residence. The parish of St Matthew was formed in 1884 from the parishes of St Mary and Christ Church. The living is a vicarage; gross yearly value, £400, in the gift of the Bishop of London. St Peter's Church, the foundation-stone of which was laid by Princess Christian, was consecrated and opened in 1893. There are also Baptist, Congregational, Primitive Methodist, and Wesleyan chapels, and a Presbyterian church. The Victoria Hall, erected in 1887, is a handsome pile of buildings in the Early Decorated style, comprising a large hall for concerts and meetings, a free library and reading-rooms, and local board offices; and there are an " isolation" hospital, a cottage hospital, police and fire brigade stations, gymnasium, and extensive public baths for persons of both sexes. Other institutions are a training college for teachers of the deaf, opened in 1878; and the Princess Helena College, originally founded in 1820', for the training of governesses, and for the education of orphan daughters of officers of the army and navy, but now used also as a public high school for girls; two banks, and a lyric hall used for concerts, theatrical performances, &c.; and Liberal and Conservative clubs. There was formerly an asylum for insane officers of H.M. Indian service under the control of the Secretary of State for India in Council, but the house and grounds were sold in 1892 to Lord Rothschild, and the placs is no longer used as an asylum. The parish contains many beautiful seats, among which may be mentioned Gunnersbury Park, belonging to Lord Rothschild; Fordhook, once the residence of Fielding the novelist; Castle Bar Hill, which belonged to the Duke of Kent, and was also at one time the seat of Lord Heathfield, famous for his defence of Gibraltar; and the Manor House, situated in the town, the seat of Miss Perceval.
Ealing Parliamentary Division of Middlesex was formed under the Redistribution of Seats Act of 1885, and returns one member to the House of Commons. Population, 70,748. The division includes the following:-Brentford (part of)- Ealing (except the part in the Brentford local government district), Greenford, Perivale, and the detached part of the parish of Hanwell situated between Ealing and Twyford; Kensington (part of)-Acton, Chiswick.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Ealing St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Brentford|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Ealing from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Ealing (St. Mary))
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Middlesex is online.
Online maps of Ealing are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Villages, Hamlets, &cElm Grove