Cranford, a parish in Middlesex, on the right bank of the river Crane, has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Hounslow. Acreage, 737; population, 507. The manor belonged once to the Knights of St John, and to Thame Abbey, and belongs now to Lord Fitzhardinge. Cranford House is the principal seat. The living is a rectory in the diocese of London; net value, £247 with residence. Patron, Lord Fitzhardinge. The church is Early Perpendicular, and has monuments of the Astons, the Berkeleys, and Dr Thomas Fuller, author of the " Church History." Dr Fuller and Bishop Wilkins were rectors. There is also a mission church, dedicated to the Holy Angels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Cranford St. Dunstan|
|Poor Law union||Staines|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Cranford from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Cranford (St. Dunstan))
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Middlesex is online.
Online maps of Cranford are available from a number of sites: