Ashford, a village and a parish in Middlesex. The village stands amid a richly-cultivated tract, 2 miles E of Staines, and has a station on the L. & S.W.R., and a post and telegraph office (S.O.) under Staines. The parish includes the western part of Old Hounslow Heath, once the retreat of highwaymen and the terror of travellers. Acreage, 1402, population, 2700. Ashford Lodge, Manor House, and Clock House are handsome seats. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of London; value, £125. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church was rebuilt in 1859. A Welsh charity school, an edifice in the Tudor style, was founded in 1857, and is now used as a high-class school for girls. The West London District School, opened in 1872, has accommodation for 790 children.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Ashford St. Michael|
|Poor Law union||Staines|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Ashford from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Ashford (St. Michael))
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Middlesex is online.