Slapton, a parish, with a village, in Bucks, on the river Ouse and the borders of Bedfordshire, near the Grand Junction Canal, 1½ mile SW of Cheddington Junction station on the L. & N.W.R. main line, and 3 miles S by E of Leighton Buzzard. It has a post office under Leighton Buzzard, money order and telegraph office, Cheddington. Acreage, 1413; population, 223. The manor belongs to Earl Brownlow. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Oxford; net value, £150 with residence. Patron, Christchurch, Oxford. The church is a building of stone in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, N porch, and an embattled western tower. It has brasses of 1462,1519, and 1522, and a very ancient font. John Kempe, a former rector, became Archbishop of Canterbury in 1407. There is a Wesleyan chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Slapton Holy Cross|
|Poor Law union||Leighton-Buzzard|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The Phillimore transcript of Marriages at Slapton 1653-1812, Buckinghamshire is available to browse online.
The parish register dates from the year 1653.
Church of England
The Holy Cross (parish church)
The church of the Holy Cross is a building of stone in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, north porch and an embattled western tower containing 5 bells, 2 of which were re-cast, the whole re-hung and the tower restored in 1889; the font dates from the 13th century, and there are brasses to Reginald Manser, dated 1462; James Tornay, yeoman-at-arms to King Henry VIII. 1519, and his two wives; and to Sir Thomas Knyghton, 1529: the church was restored in 1878 and 1889 at a total cost of £1,800, and affords 100 sittings.
Slapton was in Leighton Buzzard Registration District from 1837 to 1935 and Aylesbury Registration District from 1935 to 1974
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Slapton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Slapton (Holy Cross))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Buckinghamshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Slapton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Buckinghamshire papers online:
A full transcript of the Visitation of Buckinghamshire, 1634 is online