Simpson or Sympson, a village and a parish in Bucks. The village stands on the river Ouzel and the Grand Junction Canal, 1½ mile N of Fenny Stratford, and 2 miles NE of Bletchley Junction station on the L. & N.W.R. main line. It has a post office under Bletchley station; money order and telegraph office, Fenny Stratford. The parish contains also part of Fenny Stratford. Acreage, 1366; population, 727. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Oxford; net value, £40 with residence. The church is a plain but ancient cruciform building of stone in the Perpendicular and Decorated styles. There is a Methodist chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Simpson St. Nicholas|
|Poor Law union||Newport-Pagnell|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The present parish register dates from the year 1718; the earlier ones have been lost.
Church of England
St. Nicholas (parish church)
The church of St. Nicholas is an ancient cruciform building of stone, in the Perpendicular and Decorated styles, consisting of chancel, nave, transepts, south porch and a central tower, restored in 1930, containing 6 bells: there are monuments to the Hanmers, including one by Bacon to Sir Walden Hanmer bart. d. 1873, and a brass tablet in memory of the men connected with the parish who fell in the Great War, 1914-18, to whom also an obelisk of Cornish granite was erected: in the porch is a tablet of oak bearing the names of all from this parish who served in the Great War, 1914-18: the chancel was restored at the cost of the late Sir Wyndham Edward Hanmer bart. of Stockgrove (d. 1887), in 1873. when the transepts were restored and the tower underpinned: the nave was restored in 1904: there are 200 sittings.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Simpson was in Newport Pagnell Registration District from 1837 to 1934
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Simpson from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Simpson (St. Nicholas))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Buckinghamshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Simpson are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Buckinghamshire papers online:
A full transcript of the Visitation of Buckinghamshire, 1634 is online