Winstanley, a township in Wigan parish, Lancashire, 3½ miles SW by W of Wigan, and 1 mile from Orrell station on the L. & Y.R. It comprises part of Chadwick Green. Post town, Wigan; money order office, Billinge Chapel End; telegraph office, Orrell. Acreage, 1859; population, 568. Winstanley Hall belongs to the Bankes family. There are collieries.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Wigan|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Lancashire Archives, have images of the Parish Registers for Lancashire online.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Winstanley from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Lancashire is available to browse.
Online maps of Winstanley are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Lancashire newspapers online: