Shenley Church End, Buckinghamshire
Shenley-Church-end, a parish, with a village, in Bucks, near the L. & N.W.R., 3½ miles NW by N of Bletchley Junction station, and 4 SE of Stony-Stratford. It consists of a township and a hamlet, and has a post and money order office, of the name of Shenley-Church-end, under Bletchley Station; telegraph office, Bletchley Station. Acreage, 1662; population of the civil parish, 180; of the ecclesiastical, 395. There is a parish council consisting of six members. Shenley House is a fine mansion of stone, very pleasantly situated. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Oxford; gross value, £439 with residence. The church is an edifice of stone, in the Early English and Perpendicular styles, cruciform, and good, with a central tower.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Shenley St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Newport-Pagnell|
|Poor Law union||Newport-Pagnell|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The parish register dates from the year 1652.
Church of England
St. Mary (parish church)
The church of St. Mary is a building of stone in the Early English, Decorated and Perpendicular styles, consisting of chancel, nave of five bays, aisles, transepts, south porch and a central tower with turret rising above the parapet and containing a clock and 6 bells: in the chancel are tablets to the Rev. Matthew Knapp, 43 years rector, d. 7 Dec. 1752, and Charlotte, his wife, and a monument, with shafts of jasper and porphyry, and a quartered shield of arms, to Edmund Ashfield, d. 1577, and Eleanor, his wife; there is also a marble monument in the north aisle, with recumbent effigy, to Thomas Stafford esq. of Tattenhoe, founder of the almshouses here, who died 25 March, 1607; the male figure is in armour, and wears a neck ruff, and below, carved in high relief, is the effigy of his wife and kneeling figures of four male and three female children; on the upper portion of the monument is a shield of arms and an inscription: in the Stafford chapel, south of the tower, is a mural tablet inscribed to Thomas Stafford, of Tattenhoe, d. Sept. 1764, his wife, and Edmund, his eldest son, erected by his youngest son, Thomas, LL.D. of Magd. Coll. Oxon, who died in 1773: there are brass inscriptions to Anna, wife of John Kyrkeman esq. d. 24 Nov. 1427, and to Thomas Thurleby, rector, d. 16 June, 1432: a marble and alabaster tablet on the south side of the chancel arch records the names of three men connected with the parish who fell in the Great War, 1914-18: the church was restored in 1888-90 and affords 300 sittings.
Shenley Church End was in Newport Pagnell Registration District from 1837 to 1935
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Shenley Church End from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Shenley (St. Mary))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Buckinghamshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Shenley Church End are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Buckinghamshire papers online:
Villages, Hamlets, &cBrookend
A full transcript of the Visitation of Buckinghamshire, 1634 is online