Upper Rawcliffe with Tarnicar, Lancashire
Rawcliffe-with-Tarnicar, Upper, a township, with a village, in St Michael-on-Wyre parish, Lancashire, on the river Wyre, 3½ miles SW of Garstang. Acreage, including St Michael-on-Wyre, 3839; population, 599. There is a parish council consisting of six members. There is a stone bridge of two arches over the river. The manor belongs to the Earl of Derby. The parish church is here, was rebuilt in the reign of Henry VIII. on the site of a former structure, and consists of chancel, nave, S aisle, N chapel and porch, a baptistery, and an embattled western tower containing three old bells. There are several marble tablets to the Swainsons, a small chapelry, formerly the burial-place of the Butler family, and several modern brasses.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Garstang|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Lancashire Archives, have images of the Parish Registers for Lancashire online.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Upper Rawcliffe with Tarnicar from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Rawcliffe, Upper, with Tarnicar)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Lancashire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Lancashire newspapers online: