Upper Holker, Lancashire
Holker, Upper, a township in Cartmel parish, Lancashire, containing the chief part of Cartmel town, also Beck-side hamlet, and extending northward to the river Leven, Post town and money order and telegraph office, CartmeL Acreage, 7140 and 1224 of foreshore; population, 914. Gunpowder mills are at Low Wood.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Hundred||Lonsdale north of the Sands|
|Poor Law union||Ulverston|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Lancashire Archives, have images of the Parish Registers for Lancashire online.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Upper Holker from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Holker Upper)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Lancashire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Lancashire newspapers online: