Shalstone or Shaldestone-with-Oldwick, a parish, with a village, in Buckinghamshire, 4 miles WNW of Buckingham, and 1½ mile NE of Fulwell and Westbury station on the Banbury and Bletchley branch of the L. & N.W.R. It has a post and money order office under Buckingham; telegraph office, Tingewick. Acreage, with Oldwick, 1383; population, 172. The manor house is the seat of the Fitzgeralds, who are lords of the manor and sole landowners. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Oxford; net value, £177 with residence. The church was rebuilt in 1828, and restored in 1862 under the superintendence of the late Sir G. Gilbert Scott, R.A.,and a vestry and organ chamber were added in 1889 under the superintendence of his son. It is a building of stone in the Gothic style, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, S porch, and a western tower.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Shalstone St. Edward|
|Poor Law union||Buckingham|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The parish register dates from the year 1538.
Church of England
St. Edward the Confessor (parish church)
The church of St. Edward the Confessor, rebuilt in 1828 and thoroughly restored in 1862 under the superintendence of Sir George G. Scott R.A. is a building of stone in the Gothic style, consisting of chancel, nave of three bays, aisles, south porch and a western tower containing a clock and 5 bells: a vestry with organ was erected in 1889 by the late Mrs. FitzGerald as a memorial to Capt. Keane FitzGerald, of Shalstone Manor, d. 1888: in the north aisle is a mural brass to Dame Susan Kyngeston, 1540: on the west wall is a brass tablet erected in memory of the men of the parish who fell in the Great War, 1914-18: there are 160 sittings.
Shalstone was in Buckingham Registration District from 1837 to 1935
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Shalstone from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Shalstone, or Shaldeston (St. Edward))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Buckinghamshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Shalstone are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Buckinghamshire papers online:
A full transcript of the Visitation of Buckinghamshire, 1634 is online