Radnage, a village and a parish in Bucks. The village stands near the boundary with Oxfordshire, in a pleasant valley surrounded by high hills commanding extensive views, S½ miles NW of West Wycombe station on the Wycombe, Thame, and Oxford section of the G.W.R., and 6 NW of High Wycombe. Post town, Tetsworth; money order and telegraph office, Stokenchurch. The parish comprises 1369' acres; population, 452. There is a parish council consisting of five members. Part of the land is common. The manor belongs to the Crown. Chairs are made here. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Oxford; net value, £200 with residence. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is an ancient building, chiefly in the Early English style (probably dating from the beginning of the 12th century), constructed of flint and rubble, and consisting of chancel, nave, S porch, and central tower. There are two Primitive Methodist chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Radnage St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Wycombe|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The parish register dates from the year 1574.
Church of England
St. Mary (parish church)
The church of St. Mary, erected early in the 12th century, is a building of flint and rubble stone, chiefly in the Early English style, with traces of Norman work, and consists of chancel, nave, south porch and a central tower containing four bells: the nave retains a good Perpendicular roof, but most of the windows are Decorated: the font is Anglo-Saxon: there are brasses to William Syer, rector 1605, and Jane his wife, and to William Este, 1534, his wife and children: on the north wall is a marble tablet erected in memory of the men of the parish who fell in the Great War, 1914-18: in the chancel there is a piscina and hagioscope: in 1935 Professor Tristram found what he considered to be the oldest medireval wall paintings in Buckinghamshire: the church affords 115 sittings.
Radnage was in Wycombe Registration District from 1837 to 1974
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Radnage from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Radnage (St. Mary))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Buckinghamshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Radnage are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Buckinghamshire papers online:
A full transcript of the Visitation of Buckinghamshire, 1634 is online