Skerton, a township and an ecclesiastical parish in Lancaster parish, Lancashire. The township is suburban to Lancaster, communicates with that town by a five-arched bridge,. across the river Lune, and has a police station and a post, money order and telegraph office (T.S.O.), under Lancaster. In 1888 a great part was merged into Lancaster under the name of Skerton ward. Acreage, 1316; population of township, 311; of the ecclesiastical parish, 3757. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Manchester; net value, £280 with residence. The church is a neat building, with a pinnacled tower.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Hundred||Lonsdale south of the Sands|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Lancashire Archives, have images of the Parish Registers for Lancashire online.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Skerton from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Lancashire is available to browse.
Online maps of Skerton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Lancashire newspapers online: