Shevington, a township and an ecclesiastical parish in Standish parish, Lancashire, on the river Douglas and the Leeds and Liverpool Canal, 1 mile NE of Gathurst railway station, and 4 miles NW of Wigan. There is a post office, of the name of Shevington Moor, under Wigan; money order office, Standish; telegraph office, Appley Bridge (R.S.) Acreage of township, 1707 of land and 21 of water; population, 1629. There is a parish council of seven members. The ecclesiastical parish was constituted in 1873, and comprises Shevington, the hamlet of Crooke, and the village of Gathurst. Population, 2134. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Manchester; gross value, £300. Patron, the Rector of Standish. The church, erected in 1887, is in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, and bell turret. There are Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels at Crooke.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Wigan|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Lancashire Archives, have images of the Parish Registers for Lancashire online.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Shevington from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Lancashire is available to browse.
Online maps of Shevington are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Lancashire newspapers online: