Quarrendon or Quarrington, a village and a parish in Bucks, 2 miles NW of Aylesbury, where there are stations on the L. & N.W.R. and M.R. Post town and money order and telegraph office, Aylesbury. Acreage of the civil parish, 1948; population, 52; of the ecclesiastical, with Bierton, 1034. The manor belongs to the Dn Pre family. Nearly all the land is devoted to grazing. The living is a vicarage, annexed to the vicarage of Bierton, in the diocese of Oxford; joint net value, £309 with residence, in the gift of the Dean and Chapter of Lincoln. There is no church. A splendid chapel was erected here in 1392 by John Farnham, contained fine monuments and altar-tombs of the Lee family, and is now reduced to remains of a beautiful Decorated English window, and a few roofless arches.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Quarrendon St. Peter|
|Poor Law union||Aylesbury|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Quarrendon was in Aylesbury Registration District from 1837 to 1974
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Quarrendon from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Quarrendon (St. Peter))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Buckinghamshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Quarrendon are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Buckinghamshire papers online:
A full transcript of the Visitation of Buckinghamshire, 1634 is online