Rishton, a village, a township, and an ecclesiastical parish. in Blackburn parish, Lancashire. The village stands near a section of the L. & Y.E. and the Leeds and Liverpool Canal, 3 miles NE by E of Blackburn, and has a station on the railway and a post, money order, and telegraph office under Blackburn. The township contains also the hamlet of Tottleworth and Cunliffe, and comprises 2982 acres, of which 60 are water; population, 6010. It is governed by a district council. The manor belongs to the Petre family. There are a large cotton factory, several weaving sheds, a large reservoir, a paper mill, quarries, a colliery, and firebrick works. The ecclesiastical parish was constituted in 1874. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Manchester; net value, £300 with residence. The church, erected in 1873-74, is in the Early English style, and consists of chancel, nave, transepts, aisles, and western tower. There are Congregational, Wesleyan, Free, and Primitive Methodist chapels, Conservative and Liberal clubs, and a mechanics' institute.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Blackburn|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Lancashire Archives, have images of the Parish Registers for Lancashire online.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Rishton from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Lancashire is available to browse.
Online maps of Rishton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Lancashire newspapers online: