Padiham, a small town, a township, and a parish in Lancashire. The town stands on the river Calder, 1½ mile N of the Leeds and Liverpool Canal, and 3 miles WNW of Burnley, and has a station on the L. & Y.R., a post, money order, and telegraph office under Burnley, a police station, waterworks, gasworks, and a fair for cattle, horse, and sheep on the last Friday of April and 8 Aug. There is a steam tramway to Burnley. Under the Local Government Act of 1894 it was formed into a civil parish, with an urban district council consisting of fifteen members. Acreage, 926; population, 9723. What was known as the Padiham Out-township is now called Northtown, and is under a separate authority. The manor belongs to the Duke of Buccleuch. Huntroyde Hall, Simonstone Hall, and Gawthorpe Hall are chief residences. Coal is extensively worked, and there are stone quarries. The cotton trade is largely carried on, and there are large co-operative stores. The ecclesiastical parish comprises parts of Padiham, Higham, Hapton, and Simonstone townships. Population, 11,130. The living is a vicarage, with Higham annexed, in the diocese of Manchester; net value, £218 with residence. The church dates from before 1451; was originally founded by an abbot of Whalley; was rebuilt, excepting tower and chancel, in debased style in 1766; and was entirely rebuilt on an enlarged plan in the style of the middle of the 15th century, at a cost of £11,000, in 1866-69. It consists of chancel, nave, aisles, transepts, S porch, and lofty tower, and contains several stained windows and a number of monuments to the Huntroyde and Gawthorpe families. There are Baptist, Wesleyan, Primitive Methodist, Roman Catholic, and Unitarian chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Burnley|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The Registers of Padiham 1573-1653, are available to browse online.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Lancashire Archives, have images of the Parish Registers for Lancashire online.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Padiham from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Padiham)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Lancashire is available to browse.
Online maps of Padiham are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Lancashire newspapers online: