Pitchcott, a village and a parish in Bucks, 7 miles NW of Aylesbury, and 3 from Quainton Road station on the Metropolitan railway. Post town, Aylesbury; money order and telegraph office, Whitchurch. Acreage, 925; population, 41. The manor belongs to Christchurch College, Oxford. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Oxford; net value, £227 with residence. The church is a small interesting building of stone in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, S porch, and a western tower. It has three stained glass windows, and a bishop is supposed to have been buried in the body of the church or chancel. On the S side of the chancel, and near a window, is apparently a stone rest for a book, which is curious and interesting. It is supposed that the window was a lepers' window, and the stone rest for the book from which the priest read is in such a position that he could be seen by those standing outside. The churchyard is very large, and it is supposed that many of those who fell in an engagement between the Roundheads and Cavaliers are interred in it, as the place is full of bones. There is a large field in the parish called the Covenanters' Meadow
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Pitchcott St. Giles|
|Poor Law union||Aylesbury|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Church of England
St. Giles (parish church)
The church of St. Giles, a simple edifice of stone, chiefly in the Early English style, was restored in 1864, and consists of chancel, nave, south porch and a western tower containing 3 bells: a memorial window was erected in 1862 to Miss Jemima Jane Noble, and another to Emma Jane Noble, who died 1861, and there are three other stained windows: in the chancel is a small low side window, in the splay of which is a 13th century stone support for the priest's book, which is possibly not in situ: the church affords 80 sittings.
Pitchcott was in Aylesbury Registration District from 1837 to 1974
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Pitchcott from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Pitchcott (St. Giles))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Buckinghamshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Pitchcott are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Buckinghamshire papers online:
A full transcript of the Visitation of Buckinghamshire, 1634 is online